Use your full, 14 digit non-hyphenated account number when porting from Public Mobile.

ryan29
ryan29 Posts: 3 Lüm Member
edited February 7 in Community Help

I just finished porting my number from Public Mobile and had some minor issues due to the way I entered my Public Mobile account number when I filled out the port request. Just in case it's helpful to anyone trying to port in from Public Mobile, I had to use my full 14 digit account number without any hyphens.

Public Mobile lists their account numbers as 14 digits with the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX. I entered it verbatim in the port request and the special characters (hyphens) caused issues. Once support cleaned things up for me it worked by omitting the hyphens.

Support noticed the special characters (hyphens) in my account number right away and gave me a heads up about it. If special characters are forbidden in account numbers it would be useful to warn about that on the input field (or use input validation to prevent them).

I also tried with the last 7 digits of my PM account number and that got me a port out confirmation text but did not match correctly and caused the request to fail, so make sure you use all 14 digits. I got emailed about the failure and was able to retry immediately when this happened to me.

I think step 9 in the "Approve Number Porting" process could be improved. The "wait on this screen" instructions make it seem like you must wait on that screen. Nobody wants to keep that screen open for up to 2 hours. It worked well for me when everything went smoothly / instantly, but I think it would be a nice improvement if that screen told you how to resume if you end up waiting 1-2 hours for your port out confirmation text from the old provider.

Comments

• H-Man
    H-Man Posts: 302 Lüm Super User

Very useful information.

Thank you.