Which IMEI number should I enter when activating Lum SIM card?

Webbs
Webbs Posts: 4 Lüm Member

I'm switching phones and cell coverage providers at the same time and don't want to mess up activating my Lum SIM card so it doesn't work in my new phone.

I'd like to make a switch from my old phone, currently with PC Mobile, to a brand new phone (still in the box) with Lum and I'd like to port my current cell phone number from PC Mobile to the new phone. I'm in the process of activating my Lum SIM card and I'm assuming that I have to enter the IMEI number from my old phone. But, if I enter the IMEI number from my old phone, do I have to put the Lum SIM card into my old phone and then request to port my phone number to my new phone? Or can I just put the activated SIM into my new phone and bypass the old phone? Will my current cell number port to a phone with an IMEI that is different from what I entered when I activated the SIM card? If I enter the IMEI number from my old phone when activating my Lum SIM card, will the SIM card work in my new phone that has a different IMEI number?

Answers

• Lüm Mobile
    Lüm Mobile Posts: 360 Lüm Admin

Hi there,

Since it's a BYOP model, our SIM card will work in any phone you want. The porting info is just to verify your identity with the old provider.

• Webbs
    Webbs Posts: 4 Lüm Member

So you're saying when I activate my Lum SIM card, I should use my old phone's IMEI # and put the Lum SIM card into my new phone and everything should work/connect? There doesn't need to be a connection between the phone IMEI # given when the SIM card is activated and IMEI # of the phone the SIM card goes into for a smooth transition?

• Lüm Mobile
    Lüm Mobile Posts: 360 Lüm Admin

No there doesn't need to be a connection. We use the IMEI that's connected to the network while all other carriers use the only that's entered in their billing system. The billing system model causes problems so we get our phone information straight from the device.