Porting Lum Number from Regina (as local) to another account (for same person) in Saskatoon

Options
Jag
Jag Posts: 6 Lüm Member

Following is from FAQ from Lum.ca website:

Question:

Can I bring my own phone number:

Answer:

Yes! You can a bring phone number over to n from most providers - but it does need to be a Saskatchewan phone number (306 or 639 art ea code)

We were told that because of current System limitation Lum cannot transfer our current Lum number from Regina as local to Saskatoon as Local. So how about after we move from Regina to Saskatoon we create another account for same person (with our new Saskatoon address) and when we activate SIM card we port the same number to new account. For old account, Lum should refund the remaining annual membership cost and cost for remaining data. I understand Lum does not refund for cancelled service but this is just overcome Lum's current system limitation.

Comments

• Lüm Mobile
    Lüm Mobile Posts: 363 Lüm Admin
    Options

Hi Jag,

The request you have is to make a Regina number into a local Saskatoon number. This is not a system limitation, but a rule for ALL providers. No phone provider is able to change an NXX into a different city. I wrote: "The phone number is what makes it a local number. Unfortunately, there's no way to make a 591 number "local" to Saskatoon instead of where it originated from."

Thanks

• Jag
    Options

If that's the case why your website says you can port almost any number? If I start new account in Saskatoon and after I get new Sim card it should be able to port this number

• H-Man
    H-Man Posts: 302 Lüm Super User
    Options

You should be able to port a number as long as it is a Saskatchewan number. Regardless of your address.

I.e. I have ported a number from Saskatoon while living in Regina with a Regina address.

• Jag
    Options

Hi H-Man. Thanks for your response. After you ported your Saskatoon number to Regina with Regina address, did someone calling you from Regina, force to dial 1 first ?

I would like to do exact opposite. I want to port my Regina number with Lum to Saskatoon still with Lum with Saskatoon address. Main reason for this is that after I move to Saskatoon and after completing porting, I am hoping that when someone calls me from Saskatoon they don't have to dial 1 because it is local number in Saskatoon.

• H-Man
    H-Man Posts: 302 Lüm Super User
    Options

@Jag

Yes, the number would still belong to the city where it originated. These numbers are pre-determined in North America. For Saskatchewan, as a reference, you can see what number prefixes. I.e. the middle 3 digita after 306 belong to which city.

there's no way to change a Saskatoon number local to Regina or vice versa. It'd still be considered a long distance number. Fortunately, almost all phone plans now include unlimited Long Distance in Canada so I have never had any issues. But yes, you will be prompted to add +1 to complete a long distance call from time to time. Easiest way to fix that is save the phone number in your contacts with a +1.

• Jag
    Options

Thanks H-Man. Appreciate you taking time to clarify and educate me and others