Helpful tips: Porting in your number

Lüm Mobile
Lüm Mobile Posts: 361 Lüm Admin
edited February 13 in Community Help

Porting your own number is something that most people haven't done before. We wanted to create a post to highlight some of the places that we've seen the most questions around this process.

Entering your address

• Street name: Do not include directions (E, W) if part of your address.
  • House/Apartment number: If you live in an apartment, enter building#-unit#. Example: If I live in apt 1604 on 2131 Broad Street, I'd enter: 2131-1604.
  • Street Type: Enter the full street type with no directions (E, W) if part of your address.

Current provider

• Choose your correct provider, but be careful when selecting the Wireless or Wireline versions of your provider. Example: SaskTel Mobility for cell numbers and SaskTel Landline for home phones.
  • If you don't see your provider listed, you can look online for the parent company of your provider. Example: SpeakOut is owned by Rogers. So if you were with SpeakOut, you should pick Rogers Wireless.

Current provider details

🚩 This is where we see the most tickets!!

• Using your IMEI: The IMEI that a lot of companies use on file isn't accurate. If you bought your phone from a dealer or box store, or if they just never updated it on their billing system, THIS WON'T BE ACCURATE! If you get this error, please use your old account number.
  • Using your account number: This is found on your last bill or listed in the provider's self-serve portal. If you can't find this, a quick call to them will give you this information.

Approving your number porting

• Step 9 can take the longest in this process. Usually it only takes a few seconds for you to get a text message from your old provider to port out, but it CAN take up to 2 hours for cell numbers.
  • 🚩 Another way this can get broken is if you hit Back in your browser at this step. Please wait on this screen and hit Next after you receive the text.

Error codes

• Check out Troubleshooting port-in error messages to see explanations around the errors you may see.
  • 🚩 Don't hit Back or Refresh the page. If you receive an error, click Next to try again.
  • Wait 5 minutes before attempts! Too many attempts can cause additional errors.
  • If you do get an error and can't fix it, you can click on the option to create a ticket. This will be sent to our Support group to look into. Our Support team will update the ticket and you can see updates in myLüm>Help.
Tagged:

Comments

• ldeyenberg
    ldeyenberg Posts: 1 Lüm Member

I tried many times to port over from SpeakOut. I think you need the account number (which is also the phone number), IMEI number and PIN number. I think Lum must have eventually done something, or else I lucked out on my nth try.

• rodflaman
    rodflaman Posts: 1 Lüm Member

I have been trying to port my old phone number from Sasktel Mobility for over a week. I did get a text from Sasktel and I answered Yes. So that part was successful, but the next step with Lüm never moved from "Pending" to "Approved" I have started trouble tickets many times. I have restarted the process many times. Now Sasktel has canceled my account as requested and I have no service at all. I am very unhappy abd frustrated.

I have asked that a person call me. That never happened, abd now it's impossible since my old number has been disconnected.

• Lüm Mobile

Hi there,

We're glad you figured out what the porting request. We'll message you on your ticket and contact SaskTel to get your number pushed to us. Please check your ticket by going into myLum and going to Help.

• OliviaTwist
    OliviaTwist Posts: 1 Lüm Member

I can't even restart the process. I want to stop the port in and just get a new number. Absolutely impossible. I backed out of the page but it keeps refreshing to the pending page. How did you restart the process? I'm incredibly frustrated lol

• Lüm Mobile

Hi there,

We'll submit a ticket for you and let you know when it's reset. Please check your email or myLum app to get updates there.

• Newjane
    Newjane Posts: 2 Lüm Member

I have completed the on-boarding process but do not have internet connection. ’SOS’ indicator top right corner left of the Wifi indicator Tried a few help tips and checking my settings including toggling from Network selections from Lum mobile to Lyme Mobile T, B& R I have toggled the airplane mode and tried shutting down and leaving my phone off for over an hour. No change. Not able to text or call. My plan is to do both over internet. Have turned on the VoLTE Have I missed something?

• Newjane
    Newjane Posts: 2 Lüm Member

I’m still not connected to the internet. I am unable to make calls, send texts, and when someone attempts to call me says that my number has been disconnected. Looks like this is a porting issue. What should I do?

• Lüm Mobile

Hi Newjane,

If you haven't already, open up a Trouble Ticket in myLüm and this can be fixed.

Thanks!